Preservation of the heritage of Methodism from around the world led to the creation of the World Methodist Museum, a 4,000 square foot facility, which is located in the World Methodist Building. Built in 1956, the museum contains the story of worldwide Methodism. Stained glass windows depicting Jesus Christ and the founder of Methodism, John Wesley, adorn the museum. The museum also features portraits of Methodism’s earliest founders, as well as rare books, manuscripts, and autographs pertaining to the history of Methodism. In addition, the museum houses the world’s largest collection of Wesleyan Staffordshire pottery, and it prominently displays John Wesley’s preaching pulpit, which the museum received from England.
The World Methodist Museum houses the largest collections of Methodist history, artifacts, and memorabilia in the United States. Each season, the World Methodist Museum creates an exhibit that focuses on prominent figures in Methodism’s history. “Women in Methodism,” 2008’s exhibit, featured portraits of and memorabilia belonging to inspirational and significant women in Methodism such as Susanna Wesley, John Wesley’s mother, and Marjorie Swank Matthews, the first female bishop appointed by the Methodist church in 1980.
The Susanna Wesley Garden.
The Susanna Wesley Garden is located directly to the right of the World Methodist Museum. Named for John Wesley’s mother, the Susanna Wesley Garden is a place for prayer and meditation. Dr. Lee F. Tuttle, the World Methodist Council General Secretary from 1960 to 1976, created the Susanna Wesley Garden. It is open daily from sunrise to sunset.
The World Methodist Council Building.
The World Methodist Council Building sits beside the World Methodist Museum. It is the international headquarters for the World Methodist Council. It was completed in time for the Ninth World Methodist Conference, which occurred during August and September in 1956. The World Methodist Council originated in England, but in 1956 the international headquarters moved to the grounds of Lake Junaluska.
On the outside, the World Methodist Council Building at Lake Junaluska is an exact replica of the Epworth Old Rectory in England where John Wesley lived as a child. However, the original Epworth Rectory in England caught fire and burned to the ground when John was five years old. After narrowly being rescued from one of the Rectory’s upper windows, John was profoundly impacted. The importance of this incident on John Wesley’s life was one of the reasons the World Methodist Council Building was modeled after the Epworth Rectory.
Over seventy member churches and over 132 nations are connected in witness, evangelism, and fellowship through the World Methodist Council.