Festival of Wisdom and Grace Workshops
Professional Track by Dr. Jim Pace. The Professional Track is for anyone working in ministry full time, part-time, or exploring Older Adult Ministry as a vocation. Choosing this track precludes taking other workshops. 1 CEU credit available.
- NEXT: Retirement as Re-Invention by Dr. William Randolph, Director of Aging and Older Adult Ministries for the UMC Discipleship Ministries. Bored in Retirement; Retirement not working out as you had planned; No longer able to do as much in retirement; not yet fully retired but beginning to think about it? This workshop is for you then. It is about looking at retirement as an opportunity for becoming, the person you still would like to become, even if time is growing short. It is about embracing change, and understanding life and retirement from a spiritual perspective. The workshop will include not only ideas about how a person should rethink their own retirement but will cover a number of tools available to work through the process of accessing and exploring new directions in retirement.
- Soaring in Mind, Body, and Spirit by Dr. Bob Bowling, retired UMC Clergy from the North Georgia Annual Conference. Thriving in the second half of life involves, leaving your perch and learning to soar. Explore ways of viewing the world from a new vantage point.
- Best Practices in Older Adult Ministry by Rev. Barbara Barden, Minister of Adult Education at Myers Park UMC in Charlotte, NC. In this workshop Barbara will share several best practices she has seen in older adult ministries (including success stories by some who are reaching the Boomers).So whether you are in a small membership church or a large membership church, you will take away at least one best practice that you can share in your setting.
- Laughter Wellness Therapy by Rev. Dennis Stalvey, Senior Chaplain of Magnolia Manor Nursing Center in Americus, GA. Laughter Wellness Therapy is based on the belief that voluntary laughter provides the same physiological and psychological benefits as spontaneous laughter. Done in groups, with eye contact and playfulness between participants, forced laughter soon turns into real and contagious laughter.
- Reminiscence and Resiliency: Spiritual Flourishing in the Second Half of Life by Dr. Beverly C. Johnson-Miller, Professor of Transformative Education and Aging at Asbury Theological Seminary. This workshop will focus on the relationship between reminiscence and spiritual resiliency in the second half of life. The many forms of reminiscence will be identified, and various life review methods, practices, and resources explored. Through experiential learning exercises and simulations, participants will discover the spiritual wisdom and life enriching potential embedded in their personal stories.
- Golf Outing: Plan to join us for a fun time during our golf outing on Tuesday morning at the Lake Junaluska Golf Course. Registration required to secure tee times. Cost for Green Fee/Cart is $30 extra to be paid at the Golf Course.
REGISTRATION, LODGING, and MEAL QUESTIONS:
Tammy McDowell, Assistant Director of Program Ministries