The Public Works Office provides common community services for Lake Junaluska Assembly. Our office oversees property sales and new construction, water distribution and sewer service, solid waste disposal, street maintenance, and security. Assembly Public Works has an annual budget of approximately $ 1.7 million. There are no apportioned funds used to support Assembly Public Works.
We offer several convenient payment options for utility bills:
1. Automated Bank Draft- To set up this payment option, simply complete the ACH Authorization Form and supply a voided check. You will continue to receive your bill at the beginning of each month, and your payment amount will be directly debited from your checking or savings account between the 10th and 15th. No action will be required by you, and proof of payment can be easily seen on your bank’s account statement!
2. Online Bill Pay- This payment method allows residents to setup a profile and link to their utility account so payments can be made online with a credit or debit card. Users can also access their account summary, billing history, and monthly water usage. To setup an account, visit the Online Bill Payment site and refer to this helpful ONBP setup instruction guide.
3. Payment by Phone- Payment can be taken over the phone using a credit or debit card by calling the Public Works Office at (828) 452-5911 on Monday-Friday from 7:30 am-4:30 pm. We are closed for lunch between noon and 1pm. UPDATE: The AUTOMATED payment by phone system is no longer available.
4. Check Payment by Mail- Checks can be mailed to the following address: PO Box 339, Lake Junaluska, NC 28745. Please be sure to include the bottom half of your bill, or write your account number on the memo line to ensure the payment is applied to the correct account. NOTE: Please do not use colored inks when writing or signing checks.
5. In-Person/After-Hours Payment- Payments can be made in person at the Public Works Office, located at 19 Sleepy Hollow Drive near the intersection of County Road. We can accept checks/money orders or credit/debit card payments (NO CASH) during our normal business hours. We also offer a NEW SECURE PAYMENT DROP BOX, located at the front curb for convenient "drive-up and drop-off" check/money order payments.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Service Charges payments can only be made by check/money order or credit/debit card payments (by mail, phone or in-person).
If you have any questions or need assistance, please call the Public Works Office at (828) 452-5911.
Bills are issued during the first week of every month for water, sewer, and garbage pickup services. The residential minimum/base charge for those receiving all three services is currently $48.18. For a full list of rates and fees, please refer to the 2018 Rate Schedule. To start or end service at your residence, please contact our office directly.
An annual service charge is assessed for each propery in the community, based on the property's tax value as established by the Haywood County Tax Assessor’s Office. The annual operating budget of Assembly Public Works determines the millage rate for service charges. The budget and millage rate are approved by LJA Board of Directors, and charges provide almost half of Assembly Public Works’ annual revenue. Service charge bills are issued in the month of December for that year and are due by the end of February the following year. The rate approved for 2017 is $0.356 per $100.00 of real property value.
The Assembly purchases its water and sewage treatment from the Town of Waynesville. Assembly Public Works owns and maintains all water/sewer lines in the community, the pump stations, and reservoir. The Department conducts regular water tests and publishes an annual Water Quality Report, as required by the State of North Carolina. Each home and facility is metered and billed monthly. Assembly Public Works provides year-round, 24-hour on-call water/sewer service.
Assembly Public Works maintains approximately seventeen miles of paved roads, the storm drainage system, and signage. Streetlights are financed through the Street Department budget. Most of the roads on the Assembly grounds are private roads owned by Lake Junaluska Assembly. The exceptions are Golf Course Road, County Road, and Highway 19, which are maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation. A few private roads are maintained by their owners. The Street Department also provides snow and ice removal.
The Streets & Sanitation Department is also responsible for the collection of trash throughout the community. General household garbage and recycling is collected by our contractor, Consolidated Waste Services (CWS), on a weekly basis, and the cost for this service is included in your monthly utility bill. Other items, such as bulk trash, brush, and leaves are collected by APW staff. These cost of these services are included in your annual Services Charge bill. Please visit the Garbage and Recycling Information page for more information about these services.
Assembly Public Works provides 24-hour police protection for the entire Assembly grounds, 365 days per year. To reach the Officer-on-duty, please call the Security Office at (828) 452-6804, or the 24-hour Haywood County Sheriff's Department Dispatch line at (828) 452-6666. In case of emergencies, call 911. If you will be away from home for an extended period and wish to alert the Security team to your absence, please submit an online request to be included on the Community Watch List. For more information, please visit the Security page.
All deeds associated with Assembly property contain certain covenants and restrictions that give the LJA Board of Trustees the right to enforce regulations and the right of first refusal on all property sales. The Lake Junaluska Assembly Rules and Regulations were just updated and approved by the Board of Trustees in October 2017. The Public Works Office request a copy of the property sales contract and signature on the current Rules and Regulations. Certain subdivisions (Aldersgate, Hickory Hills, Lakemont condos, and Tri-Vista Condos) require signature on more specific agreements. Letters waiving the right of first refusal and detailing any outstanding fees must be requested from the Assembly Public Works Office prior to property closing. Click this link to submit an online request for 'Right of First Refusal' letters or Service Charge inquiries.
All construction and renovation on the Assembly grounds are subject to the building codes of North Carolina as enforced by the Haywood County Building Inspection Office. Notice to Proceed documentation must be acquired from Assembly Public Works prior to the issuance of a building permit by Haywood County. The Notice to Proceed document spells out restrictions unique to the Assembly, documents fee agreements, and plan approval. Normal fees include impact fees (based on $0.20 per sq. ft. of heated space, $0.15 per sq.ft. of unheated covered space, and $0.10 per sq. ft. of uncovered space), water tap fees ($600.00) and sewer tap fees ($650.00), and potential damage or hookup cost to our roads, curbs, or storm drains.
In the past, Residential Services (now called Public Works) was responsible for the assignment and maintenance of the cluster mailboxes that are found in some areas of the community. However, the management and service to these mailboxes is now soley maintained by the United States Postal Service via the Waynesville Post Office, located at 523 S. Haywood Street in downtown Waynesville. To receive a new box or request maintenace of an existing box, please contact the post office directly either in-person or by phone at (828) 456-9445.
Assembly Public Works emplpys a full-time staff of nine -- six Operations staff and three Administrative staff. These dedicated, hard-working men and women serve the community year-around, responding to issues and concerns as they come up, and doing all they can to improve service and system reliability. In the field, you will see them dressed in orange uniform shirts with Lake Junaluska logos, often covered in layers of mud!
Physical address: 19 Sleepy Hollow Drive, Waynesville, NC 28785
Mailing Address: PO Box 339, Lake Junaluska, NC 28745
Office Phone: (828) 452-5911
After-hours On-Call: (828) 452-6666
Office Fax: (828) 452-5912
Main Email: email@example.com