More Navigation

Junaluska Assembly Community Council 2020 Elections

Elections

Every two years, an election is held to select Junaluska Assembly Community Council members for each of the 5 districts, plus 2 at-large members. Current members are limited to three two-year terms. 

They meet monthly (except July and December) to address the needs and concerns of stakeholders in the Lake Junaluska community, advise the Assembly Public Works Director, advocate for the issues, concerns and opportunities of the Lake Junaluska community, and provide a forum for community dialog and communication.

Per the JACC Constitution and Bylaws, an Election Board is appointed to oversee the process. For the 2020 election, those members and their JACC districts are:

• Don Rankin, Utah Mountain District
  • Dianne Goodgame, South Lakeshore District
  • Ben Latimer, Lambuth District
  • Jean Holiday, Shackford District
  • Deborah Horn, Richland Creek District

Get Involved!

Residents are encouraged to participate in the election process by running as a district or at-large representative, or by voting for the candidates of their choice.

Eligibility to run for office or to vote in the election is the same:

• Assembly property owners whose names are on the deed;
  • Full-time Assembly residents who are also registered to vote in Haywood County; or,
  • Water and sewer customers whose address is within the Assembly.

REGISTER AS A CANDIDATE

Register as a candidate for office by completing a registration form online, or submit a paper form to the Assembly Public Works office. The deadline to register is Friday, June 5, 2018 by 4:30 pm. Candidates are also encouraged to provide a profile that may include information such as how long candidates have lived in Lake Junaluska, service provided to the community, and their support of the mission statement of Lake Junaluska Assembly. Profiles are limited to 100 words or less and content will not be edited, although profiles will be reduced to meet this requirement. All candidate profiles will be posted below as received.

Register ONLINE  or by PAPER FORM

VOTE

Ballots will be mailed in mid-June to all registered water utility customers. If you do not receive a ballot, please visit the Assembly Public Works office to pick one up. PLEASE NOTE: Only one ballot will be accepted per person! 

Election Timeline

The following calendar has been established by the Elections Board for 2020:

• Friday, June 5: Last day for candidates to register to run for JACC
  • Friday, June 19: JACC ballots are mailed; also available at Public Works office
  • Friday, July 24: Ballots must be received at the Public Works office, or postmarked
  • Tuesday, August 11: Results of elections are announced at the JACC meeting
  • Tuesday, September 8: New members take office

2020 JACC Candidate Profiles

(listed in alphabetical order by district in which they are running)

Richland Creek District

Charles Lipp

Our commitment to the community began with building on Methodist Drive in 2015. We are engaged and members of the Junaluskans and the Associates, and the LJPOO. I also serve on the Lake Junaluska Assembly Board of Trustees and as a LJAPOO board member.

This term on the Community Council has resulted in traffic study and the beginnings of resolution of several traffic issues.

I believe a vibrant residential community and a healthy growing Conference and Retreat Center benefit each other financially and in other ways.

Lambuth District

Phillip Ray Gibson

Phillip Gibson seeks to be a member of the JACC to assist in maintaining its mission. This is an extension of his promise to participate through his prayers, presence, gifts and service.

Phillip has historically served Haywood County in a variety of ways, most recently as a new member of the Haywood Community College Board of Trustees. He and his wife, Julia, are members of the UMC for which he writes grants and develops programs for his local church. Phillip also helps people purchase, sell and rent homes in LJ. Phillip hopes you will permit him to serve the JACC.

George Kenney

George Kenney holds a Doctorate in Educational Leadership and he is the author of Graduation: A Parents’ Guide to Keeping Teens From Dropping out of School. He is the chair of the Waynesville Public Art Commission and an adjunct instructor at Haywood Community College. George has served on the board of the World Methodist Museum, the Junaluska Community Council, and he is a member of the Haywood Community Band. George has served as the Vice President of the Junaluskans and currently chairs the Scholarship Committee and manages entertainment for the Junaluskans dinners.

Shackford Hall District

Mike Jordan

I had jobs here for eight summers: Assembly Daily carrier, custodian of the World Methodist Museum, lifeguard, and beginner-swimming teacher. I served as a Methodist minister for 41 years, and each of those churches gave 100% of their apportionments (which benefited Lake Junaluska). I believe it is important that we all support the Lake through our donations so I am a member of the donor group, the Lake Junaluska Society. I enjoy participating in Lake Clean-Up Day and helping with the Flea Market.

South Lakeshore District

Randy Carlson

Randy and his wife Linda have been year-round residents for over 5 years and summer residents prior. They are members of the Junaluskans and are active in volunteering at the Lake, their church, leading Bible studies, and working at the Open Door and Pathways. Randy is a graduate of the Air Force Academy, a former USAF fighter pilot who served twice in Vietnam and retired as a Colonel. He then earned his PhD in Instructional Design at Penn State and taught at Georgia Southern University where he was Professor and Department Chair. He hopes to add his proven strengths of leadership and technical expertise to the JACC.

Utah Mountain District

James L. Correll, Jr. "Jim"

My wife, Evelyn, and I have owned our home at 18 Kilgore Road since August of 1988.  We have lived full-time at that address since July of 2012.

I am currently serving on the Community Council from the Utah Mountain District, filling out the last half of a term vacated when Alan Jackson and his wife move away from our community last year.  I am happy to continue representing our community in that capacity, as the Council serves in its advisory role to the Office of Public Works.

At-Large Representatives

Karen Greenwaldt

Lake Junaluska Experience:

- Visited since 1950’s

- Attended or led conferences and meeting, 1981-2013

- Property owner, 2008-present

- Moved to Lake, 2014 with husband, Russ Harris

- Co-chair, one Interfaith Peace Conference; member executive committee

- Intentional Growth Center; board member chairperson, finance chairperson

- Member Junaluska Assembly Community Council and chairperson, 2018-present

- Member LJA Board of Trustees, 2018-present

Qualifications:

- Leadership: long range planning & project management skills

- Able listener, learner, team member, speaker, group leader, author, financial manager

- Retired elder: Central Texas Conference, UMC

- Served: 32 years at UMC’s General Board of Discipleship and CEO for 13 years

Ed LaFountaine

A native of Waynesville and Lake Junaluska, Ed graduated from Tuscola HS and the Air Force Academy with a Civil Engineering degree. He also earned a MBA and graduated from the National War College in Washington, DC. His AF career spanned 33 years during which he served throughout the US, as well as overseas in Panama, Japan, and Germany. After retiring as a Major General in 2005, he returned to WNC with his wife Judy. A tireless volunteer in our local community, he’s served on numerous boards, foundations, and advisory groups, and as President of LJAPOO for 4 years.